A really cool thing happened yesterday..........my adult female Eurycotis decipiens produced an ootheca! It was very cool seeing her run around with it sticking out of her and when she finally got a mixture of spit and coconut fiber and stuck the ootheca a crevice on the piece of cork bark I have in there! This was my first experience of a roach producing an ootheca, so it was very exciting for me.
My family and I went to our property again at Woodhaven Lakes this Saturday and of course I was on the search! During the 4 or so hours I was able to spend time collecting, I found 4 more D.elogatus which gives me a total of 6 currently, I also found a 2 inch long Geophilus vittatus( Diamondback soil centipede), a large female wolf spider which I showed pictures of in my last post, and a very beautiful Chlaenius tricolor. To add onto my recent collecting success, when I was walking past my window earlier today, I noticed a large P.audax on the screening! I'm really enjoying keeping a wider variety of insects! Enough said, here's some pictures!
|Ootheca stuck to cork bark|
|Large Phidippus audax nymph|