I was lucky enough to just complete a mega trade with the "Roach man" himself, Kyle Kandilian! 😀 In this trade, I picked up (as you can tell from the title) a dozen Armadillidium vulgare"Orange Vigor", twenty Gyna caffrorum nymphs, seven Gyna centurio nymphs, a nymph pair of Lucihormetica grossei, and a mystery species!!!😃 Needless to say, this was the best package that I've received since entering the hobby. The thing I was most astonished about upon opening the box was the amount of Gyna I had been sent, I only asked for one female nymph of each species, but instead received twenty chromes and seven centurions! I think it is definitely safe to say that I won't be getting an over-count that large anytime soon. LOL The thing I was also very surprised about was the mystery species, the species I received ended up being one of the rarest isopods in the hobby.......Adroniscus dentiger!!! Besides all that, the A.vulgare"Orange Vigor" and L.grossei(a species that just entered the U.S hobby late last year) were just icing on the cake. 😜
Even with all the rare/cool stuff I got, the species that I was most excited to acquire would definitely have to be the Lucihormetica grossei. These roaches, which are brand new to the U.S hobby, dwarf the other two currently cultured members of its genus, L.subcincta and Lverrucosa, in both length and (at least with males) width. The pronotum on the nymphs of this species are also uniquely adorned with beautiful satin markings along with the bright orange coloration on the head typical to the other Lucihormetica. I have one smallish nymph(which I assume is the male) and then one medium-sized nymph(which I assume is the female) that appears to be an instar or two ahead of the other. Right now I have them set up in a 6 oz. plastic Sterilite container with about a 1.5 inch deep moist substrate mix of coconut fiber and a small amount of rotten wood. Besides that I have some crumbled up dead leaves along the top of the substrate and will likely melt a couple holes into the sides for added ventilation.
Here's some pics of them and their enclosure!
|Presumably female L.grossei nymph|
|Presumably male L.grossei nymph|
|L.grossei nymph pair|
Perhaps the species/cultivar that I was second-most thrilled about getting was the Armadillidium vulgare"Orange Vigor". This strain, as described on Roachcrossing.com, shows a variety of orange hues(with an additional brick red color occasionally popping up) and has been "heavily outcrossed' resulting in "extreme vigor". I'm particularly fond of the fact that this strain exhibits so many different variations, a very interesting characteristic that isn't present in many strains at all. Anyway, all twelve individuals I received are a decent size and are definitely sexually mature so I should be seeing mancae very soon! I'll be keeping these guys in a 6 oz. plastic Sterilite container(which I will soon add a few ventilation holes to) with a one inch deep substrate mix of coconut fiber and a little bit of rotten wood. I've topped this off with a layer of crumbled dead leaves and an upside down piece of bark(I've found that isopods are actually more attracted to hiding under bark like this rather than when it's right side-up).
Here's some photos!
|A.vulgare"Orange Vigor" enclosure|
I originally only wanted a couple female nymphs to go with my males, but I guess all the nymphs I received are fine as well. 😉 What was once a scrape up job getting individuals of both sexes should be smooth sailing now that I have good breeding populations of both species. Of each species, about three fourths are small nymphs with the other fourth of the groups being made up of medium-large nymphs. I have both species housed in 20 qt. plastic Sterilite Gasket Box containers just so I won't have to move either of them into larger enclosures as they grow and for the reason that there are a few nymphs close to maturation and I don't want there to be any chance of escapees. They are both being kept on around an inch of moist coconut fiber(although I'll be letting the G.caffrorum's substrate dry out to a suitable moisture level) with a layer of dead leaves on top.
Here's some pictures of my two Gyna species and an enclosure!
(To specify, I'm only including pics of one enclosure since they are virtually identical).
Here's some pics of these tiny isopods and their enclosure!