I've got some pretty neat updates on a couple species to share with you guys today, both having new babies and one with a new morph! Let's get into them now. 🙂
Firstly, I'm proud to announce the first ever captive breeding of a certain genus for me......Parcoblatta! 😃 Over the last few days one of the two oothecae that I ended up getting from my female P.pennsylvanica hatched yielded fifteen healthy, little nymphs! I really love the look of these first instars compared to the usual, pretty dull-looking Eurycotis hatchlings that I usually get. lol I still have them all housed in the oothecae incubation-container, but will rehouse them once I'm able to pick up some more coconut fiber (likely on Monday).
Enough talk, here's some pics of the puny suckers! LOL
|1st instar P.pennsylvanica nymphs|
Well, the second and last species that I've had notable developments with are my Porcellio scaber. I hadn't really posted on it or anything, but around a month ago I found a single specimen at one of the forests I regularly collect at and to my surprise it ended up being a gravid female! The reason I mention this is because she finally popped, giving birth to about two dozen mancae! 😄 I have to admit, even though I had heard that this species was very prolific, I still wasn't expecting as many nymphs as I got! lol
Additionally, while on a much more recent collecting trip at a different location, I came across a turned over piece of bark in the moist soil about ten feet off the edge of a small lake. When I flipped this over, much to my delight it was covered in Trachelipus rathkii.....accompanied by the ever elusive Porcellio scaber! I managed to collect about seven individuals including a very nice "Calico" specimen (which happened to be a gravid female)! When I returned home, I eventually added the new guys in with my female and mancae and rehoused them to a slightly larger enclosure.
Here's some pics of both the mancae and my neat "Calico" specimen!